Translate

Thursday, December 12, 2013

100 days

        Life goes on, and time controls it all. I feel like just yesterday I got off the plane in Roma. Now my clock gears have turned time so far ahead. Today is my 100th day in Italy! I am 1/3 % finished. I only have 306 days in Italy you know! (That's if I leave exactly on July 6)

        It's an amazing feeling to know that I have survived in a different country for so long. By myself also. I did not know anyone except 4 other girls from Pennsylvania who got the same scolarship as I did. When I arrived in New York that first day, that is really when I noticed I knew no one.

        Now four months later, I know so many people, I don't even want to count them! (Lets let facebook do that for me) A lot of the people I know are foreign also!

        It completly shocks me to know that all the Italians around me are friends. Even if we speak different languages. It really all gets down to basics, we are all oddly similar. For some reason I thought crossing an ocean I would find them more strange. With different thoughts and feelings, or looking like a different species. - I know, I know! I have seen Italians before in America, but it was all so new to me!

        What I notice is that they are just like normal people. Some even remind me of people back in America. Crazy even. If you can imagine yourself moving in your own country and adjusting well, I think you can study abroad also.

        I mean once you get past the language gap and all.... That's not even that hard to avoid. It's fun at times experiencing something new.

        100 days deserves a special something don't you think? Yea, I bought a Twix at school. Very American right there! :-) sweet loveable candy that is so hard go find overseas! Yummy!

        - Little side note, my family thinks its soo weird that I made a sunny side up egg (bubbled egg) for breakfast this morning. My host brother took pictures and all so he could laugh or make it himself. I am not sure. They also think it's soo weird that Americans eat salty food for breakfast. Bacon, buttered toast, sausage, eggs, potatoes. While I sit and want to say, "But you eat cake!"

        They handed me cake every other day this week. Like full on cake and all. Or cookies, gosh they love cookies! :) So do I, but for like dessert....

        Just remember if you ever see a foreign person, say the AFS moto, "Its not wrong, it's different!"

        At school also I got to make up my own game and teach my English class, it was really fun! It was suppose to be a joke the teacher wanted me to play on them. To "interrogate" their knowledge (like a oral quiz for all you Americans reading this) - very extremly common here - The joke was suppose to last 5 minutes of me asking really tough questions, but they wanted to continue. So we made a game out of it, and I asked them questions about America....

        For example: Who ran against Obama in last years Election. Name as many states as you can. Presidents also! What countries surround the USA <-- I was surprised when they got that one wrong. 

Ok Happy 100 to me! Till next time
| § | XOXO Brystal | § |


1 comment: