Translate

Monday, November 18, 2013

How Italians Eat....

        Being as I am in Italy, I will look like a marshmallow when I go back to the state's. Italy does that to foreign people! You go there skinny and somehow you eat the same stuff as everyone else (loads of carbs!) And notice your the only one who is gaining weight! Whats the secret? Can I be in on it too? 

        I have been pretty good so far I think! I tell my mom "basta!" Or "No, grazie" to just about every second spoonful she trys to put on my plate. She loves to overfeed everyone! Yu should have seen the first day.... I ate enough to feed Africa.... Scary right?

        Italians love to eat together, so when your not there it's kinda a bad thing. AND not to mention if you leave the table early they wonder if you did not like the food. . . So I am always last to leave so I do not seem rude to them! Don't want to make them hate me the next 8 months right? 

        Also I should mention that some "Italian" food you hear about in America are not in Italy.... What? Well for example: spaghetti with meatballs - they do not know what a meatball is.... Alfredo, yea that's not here in the kind I always had in America... Tastes different here. Also no chicken parmesan... So sad I loved that too! And I should mention I have not seen a pizza covered in layers and layers of cheese like we have in America.

        Dinner here is such a special time for the family! Also lunch! They always have huge courses of everything! First pasta! Second meat! Third vegetables! Fourth fruit which is dessert! Each course takes up an entire plate. I normally feel like I really want to go for an intense run after dinner, but at 9:30 at night I just don't see my host parents letting me go... Also eating is a race at my house. I sit and eat maybe 7 fork fulls of food and look over at everyone else and they are done waiting for me to finish. I do not know if the chew the food or not. My host brother also takes what would be 4 bites of food for me all at once. While I still finish my first bite, he has finished....

        Coffee - tasted it here and was about to pass out it was so strong! You will not see a large cup of coffee here. Ever. I will not get into coffee, promise you that!  

        So today is November 17 also my mom (Rose) in America's Birthday! Wish her luck and a Happy Birthday! I miss her like crazy! . . . . Also I went out to eat lunch with my family in the mountains and I took some photos!

        Keep in mind the appetizers were huge and I thought they were the entire meal.... I was so full after them that when pasta then meat then salad then potatoes then fruit course came. I had a steady line of bad words enter my head from about the meat course on... I was in trouble! I kept asking my host sister if this was the last one! I could not just no eat or try the things when they put it on my plate.... SO MUCH FOOD!

            There will be so many of my blogs dedicated to Italian food this year. But who doesn't love food?

Wish me luck on not getting super fat this year readers! Till next time! |§ | XOXO Brystal | § |

Appitizers 
PASTA 
Salad.... do not like it covered in oil like italians do...
9 people and one of them way 5 years old... Did we finish this, not even close!
Coke with lemon! - weird but good!
loves his jobs!
Me and my host sister! Maria!
The place we ate at! 
soooo pretty!
My dad and the 5 year old! 
Red mountain?!?
The volcano was right between the 2 mountains in the water. I COULD SEE IT! First time I saw a volcano! 

1 comment: