Translate

Sunday, September 29, 2013

2 Weeks In!

        Days turn into weeks, and weeks turn into months. Soon my year will be up! I feel as if I wrote a post about Italian schools yesterday. Saying I was sure to get back to it later! Well I have finished my second week here in Italy. . . All that free time in class, not understanding anything has really given me a chance to watch italian life.

Which is completely different then American life in school because. . . .

Yea here comes a list. I have been writing this all week. I mean, what is different from Italy and American schools? 

  1. The walls are BLANK! It does sound boring, but when you are stuck in a class room and the room is white all over, it makes you feel like your stuck in a bubble.... With about 23 other kids, it is just about the most annoying thing ever....
  2. School is 6 days long. Yea I know my weekend is cut short! Its Saturday today, and I had school. Not fun at all! I felt like my weekend started, till I remembered I had school at 7 when my alarm woke me up. (Some schools are not like this though) 
  3. At 10 the students get done with their second class of the day. It is also break for 15-ish minutes. Which means they hurry to eat, because this is their lunch period.
  4. Which makes me want to state again, no lunch. Being American, with the sterio-type of eating so much that I weight 300 lbs, the Italians were shocked to see I do not eat lunch then. I mean I feel like I am still waking up! Also who wants to eat in a hallway?
  5. It was weird, the floors in Italian schools do not have carpets like they did in my American classrooms......
  6. The chalk board / white board. Yea its about the size of a coffee table, which means you do one math problem on it and have to erase everything else. Kinda stinks for me, I copy the problem and my friends notes at the same time, so I always seem to miss something!
  7. The chairs are lonely without a desk attached to them. It also makes tons of noice if they students move their chairs. They are really built to make sure your back stays perfectly straight .All.The.Time.
  8. Again, no AC! In Italy it is super hot all the time and you get no air through the windows. But I have noticed heaters! I wonder if they work..?
  9. So a coatrack replaces any type of locker. There are two in each classroom you can put your coats or bookbags on. Yea they do not get used....
  10. Italians do not know what "fire drill" is. I asked my friend today and she pointed at things around the building that could help take a fire out and said, "This is our drill." So I am also assuming they do not do lockdowns, or tornato drills either. Unsafe :-)
  11. The students all have to wear pants! Did I mention I hate pants and it is like 500 degrees here? Perfect. No dresses or shorts, could just about make a person feel like they are in an oven. I know I do!
  12. Long pants in PE too! So girls no showing off your fine tanned legs to all those guys. They just have to imagine it! ;-) Well it is PE those guys are to worried about the sport because they do not have sports in the school! Only gym....
  13. NO CLUBS! What? For a girl who lives for Drama Club, I feel oddly out of place.
  14. This was the weirdest thing to me. You can smoke on the property. Not in the school, but like a step outside the school, sure! These kids will kill their lungs....
  15. You have classes, like 14 and you have to buy your own books. Normally in America they give you one for the year. This is so expensive.
  16. The classes switch around each day. You have different ones, and you best know the schedule ! So you do not have to carry all 14 subjects. LOL 
  17. The teachers also arrive basically when they want. Sometimes not at all, you just sit in class and goof-off.
  18. When a teacher enters or leaves a room you MUST stand. This I am still not used too. 
  19. Your class of 25ish people is your class. You do not see anyone else until break. Then you go back to study some more with the same people. Everyday.
  20. I was so confused going school shopping because I needed a "Diary"... Which in America is where you put your secrets. But in Italy it is like your agenda book. They are more expensive then life itself. Buy one where you come from!
  21. There is no "lab" for science. So I am guessing everything is in theory? No experiments...
  22. There are different types of schools. Mine is the hardest math and science. I do mean hard, I am doing stuff I would be learning in college. You should know, whatever school your put in will probably be the trickest thing ever.
  23. The schools are designed to pop out certain types of workers. If you go to a science and math school, chances are you won't be an artist. 
  24. The guys wear a type of pants made for riding motorcycles. Which BTW everybody seems to drive more then cars. Mo-peds. Danger-Danger! 
  25. Italy is known for playing soccer for a reason too. Guys are so good at it, I sat in guy class like, "How can you do that with your feet without tripping miserably!?!" 
  26. Brings me to gym class. Yea not an everyday thing. Also my school has the smallest gym ever. Like the size of 3 classrooms. AND they jump right into playing games. In America I got used to having like 1 or 2 days of review of the game to remember how to play it, then we would have a large game of it. No here, they give you the ball and tell you to have at it. 
  27. LASTLY! If you become an exchange student you will not understand anything for weeks. Best advice for ya, deal with it. I am doing it to. Going to school to sit and try to pay attention but fail because I seem to get bored if   all day I listen to a different language. 

So. I have given up all types of proper English writting at this time. I am sorry If I miss spell the most basic words. I do have to learn a new language or else. :-) 

If there is anything you want to know about italian schools, add a comment and I will answer! BYE!

Till next time readers! | § | XOXO Brystal | § | I love you all! 

1 comment:

  1. Okay I'm just going to point out the obvious since I went to Catholic school. White walls, long pants, etc., translates to NO distractions. American public schools have low standards when it comes to conduct, respect, student initiative, accountability and so on. Much higher standards existed when Gma was in school, and when I was in school. Now you can understand what we talked about all those years. If we did it, you can do it :) (and yes, Gma went to a Polish speaking school!) As for me...ask me and you'd be surprised :)

    ReplyDelete